Cooking up perfect french toast is a breeze when you use an air fryer! This air fryer french toast is everything you could ever want – toasty and crisp on the outside, soft and warm on the inside, with an amazing hint of cinnamon and vanilla. Top it with maple syrup and fresh fruit for a special breakfast or brunch treat.
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- There’s barely any prep for the recipe, and the cook time is practically nothing! This is a great recipe for busy mornings OR for those laid back mornings when the kids help in the kitchen. There’s no hot pans, no standing over the stove, and clean up is a piece of cake. Er, well. A piece of french toast!
- Air fryer french toast is incredibly versatile. You can top it with anything you want! Fresh fruit, flavored syrups, chocolate chips, raisins, powdered sugar… You can also add other seasonings to the egg mixture, like pumpkin pie spice. If you want to spin this into a dessert, adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream alongside the warm french toast will blow. your. mind.
- Leftovers are no problem, so don’t be afraid to make too much! Just refrigerate the cooled leftovers in an airtight container. They’ll keep up to 5 days or so. To reheat, pop them back in the air fryer until warmed through. You could also reheat them in the microwave but they won’t get as toasty. Note: if you think you’ll have leftovers, don’t put any toppings on those slices until you’re definitely ready to eat them.
Bread – So what’s the best bread for french toast? Whatever you like, so long as it’s thick! Brioche is ideal, but you can also use challah and Texas toast. If you’re cutting your own slices out of a larger loaf, just make sure to slice them approximately 1″-1.5″ thick. Cook times will vary slightly depending on the size and thickness of your bread slices.
Eggs – Eggs are a staple in traditional french toast. They’re the base of the egg wash you’ll dip the bread into, which turns into that magnificent sweet outer coating when you cook the bread.
Cinnamon – CLASSIC. Cinnamon on french toast is CLASSIC. We’re mixing a little into the egg wash mixture that coats the bread, which means every inch of bread ends up with cinnamony-goodness. If you’d like, you can use other spices here, in place of or in addition to the cinnamon.
- Don’t skip spraying the air fryer basket with a non-stick spray. You don’t want the bread to stick (trust me) so it’s super important. Make sure to use a spray that’s safe for air fryers, too. Your average aerosol sprays can damage the coating on the air fryer basket.
- Really great french toast has a crisp exterior. In order to get that same texture with air fryer french toast, it’s important that you don’t overcrowd the basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer (and the size of your bread slices), you may need to work in 2-3 batches. If you cook multiple batches, be sure to spray the basket again between each one.
- You can absolutely make air fryer french toast STICKS out of this recipe if you prefer those! Just cut each slice of bread into thick sticks and proceed as usual. Again, don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. You may not need a full 10 minutes to cook the french toast sticks, so keep an eye on them and adjust as needed.
Try These Air Fryer Recipes, Too!
- Air Fryer Home Fries
- Air Fryer Turkey Burgers
- Sausage in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin
- Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 slices thick cut bread
Suggested Toppings (All Optional)
- maple syrup or your favorite sugar-free maple syrup
- powdered sugar or powdered erythritol
- cinnamon sugar
- chocolate chips
- whipped cream
- Air Fryer
- Large bowl
- Air-fryer-safe non-stick spray
- Preheat air fryer to 400° Fahrenheit.
- In large bowl, mix together eggs, half and half, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
- Remove air fryer basket and spray with air-fryer-safe non-stick spray. Dip each slice of bread in egg wash, coating both sides. Let excess egg wash drip back into bowl, then place bread in air fryer basket. Note: don't overcrowd basket. Work in batches if needed.
- Return basket to air fryer. Cook 5 minutes, then flip bread and cook another 5 minutes. Repeat until all bread has been cooked. Serve warm with desired toppings.
- All suggested toppings are optional. Use whatever you like, or enjoy the toast on its own!
- This recipe was tested and perfected in a Chefman air fryer. Actual cook times may vary depending on your specific air fryer, and the size and thickness of your bread. Keep an eye on the toast and adjust as needed.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.