Much faster than traditional baked smashed potatoes but every bit as delicious, these air fryer smashed potatoes might just become your new favorite side dish. They’re crispy outside, fluffy and tender inside, and seasoned beautifully.
🥔 What Makes This Recipe So Good
- Air fryer smashed potatoes are quick and easy to make! Traditional smashed potatoes require boiling and baking, which consume so much time. With this recipe, all of the cooking is done in the air fryer. This process is much quicker, and the air fryer cooks the potatoes perfectly- giving a delicious crisp on the outside, with a soft and fluffy inside.
- The smashed potatoes are simply, yet deliciously seasoned. A tasty blend of salt, freshly cracked black pepper, and garlic powder are mixed into oil for a delicious drizzle to toss onto the smashed potatoes. Those flavors soak into the tender potatoes during the final cook time, making every bite full of flavor!
- They’re a super versatile side dish that pairs well with so many entrées. Crispy baked whole chicken wings, lollipop chicken legs, sous vide flank steak, chicken spiedini…just about anything! They’re sure to be a new favorite go-to side dish for any occasion or meal.
👩🏼🍳 Chef’s Tips
- Air fryer smashed potatoes are totally customizable. Have fun with the seasonings! Use the same seasoning blend from your entrée on the potatoes for a delicious meal. Prefer some spice? Add a dash of red pepper flakes or paprika for some heat. The flavor possibilities are endless with these delicious potatoes!
- You may need to work in batches when cooking the smashed potatoes to avoid overcrowding. Air must be able to touch all sides of the potatoes in order to crisp them evenly. Be sure to keep an eye on potatoes as they cook, removing them as soon as they achieve desired level of doneness.
⭐️ More Potato Perfection
- Potato Asparagus Soup
- Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- Seafood Baked Potato
- Instant Pot Cheesy Potatoes
- Pan Fried Potatoes
- Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
- Diced Potatoes
- Accordion Potatoes
- 1 ½ pounds baby gold potatoes 1 24-ounce bag
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil avocado oil, olive oil, vegetable oil, etc.
- 1 teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper more or less to taste
- Air Fryer
- running water
- vegetable scrub brush
- Paper towels or clean kitchen towel
- Small bowl
- small whisk
- large baking sheet
- large flat-bottomed drinking glass or flat-bottomed mug
- Preheat air fryer to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Wash 1 ½ pounds baby gold potatoes under running water, scrubbing potatoes with vegetable brush to remove surface dirt. Once washed, pat potatoes completely dry with paper towels or clean kitchen towel.
- Remove basket from preheated air fryer. Place potatoes in basket in single layer, working in batches as needed to avoid overcrowding.
- Place basket in air fryer. Air fry potatoes 10 minutes, then remove basket from air fryer.
- Carefully flip potatoes over, then return basket to air fryer. Air fry potatoes 5 minutes more.
- After 5 minutes, remove basket from air fryer. Carefully press tines of fork into potatoes. Potatoes are fully cooked when fork pierces potatoes easily, with little to no resistance. If potatoes are not yet fully cooked, return basket to air fryer and air fry potatoes 2 to 5 more as needed, checking potatoes with fork every minute.
- While potatoes air fry, add 3 tablespoons neutral oil, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper to small bowl. Whisk ingredients together until fully combined, then set aside.
- Once potatoes are ready, remove basket from air fryer and transfer potatoes to baking sheet. Use bottom of drinking glass or mug to flatten each potato into approximately ¼-inch-thick disc. Be careful not to smash potatoes too much or too forcefully.
- Drizzle half of oil mixture over smashed potatoes, then flip potatoes over and drizzle remaining oil mixture over other side of potatoes. Flip potatoes over 2 to 3 times to coat both sides in oil and spices.
- Return smashed potatoes to air fryer basket in single, flat layer, again working in batches as needed to avoid overcrowding.
- Return basket to air fryer. Air fry smashed potatoes 4 to 5 minutes, then remove basket and flip potatoes over.
- Return basket to air fryer and air fry smashed potatoes 2 to 5 minutes more, until potatoes are golden brown and crispy on both sides.
- Once crispy, transfer potatoes to large plate and set aside. Repeat process with any remaining potatoes as needed until all potatoes have been smashed and air fried. Serve smashed potatoes immediately.
- Baby Gold Potatoes: These might be called petite gold potatoes or gold gourmet potatoes depending on the brand and grocery store.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.