An air fryer is all you need to get perfectly tender, crisp summer squash in no time at all! This recipe for air fryer squash uses olive oil and a little salt & pepper to highlight the natural flavors of the vegetables without overpowering them.
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- It’s a quick and easy recipe that fits almost any dietary need – low calorie, low carb, keto, gluten free, grain free, no added sugar, paleo, vegan, vegetarian… Everyone can enjoy this tasty snack or side dish!
- If you don’t like mushy squash, this is the recipe for you. The air fryer gives you perfectly tender-crisp summer veggies in less than 10 minutes. There’s no messy clean up, no standing over a hot stovetop, no turning and tossing to keep things from burning. Just perfectly cooked squash at the touch of a button.
- Any leftover squash can easily be reheated in the microwave, under the broiler, or in the air fryer again for just a couple of minutes. Refrigerate your leftover squash in an airtight container and it’ll keep up to 4 days.
Yellow Squash – Yellow squash is pretty iconic. It’s got a beautiful color (hello, gorgeous yellow) and an interesting shape (roundish and bulbous on one end but skinnier toward the other end).
Zucchini – Another summer squash, zucchini doesn’t look like yellow squash. It’s a straight squash with uniform thickness from one end to the other, and it’s got a rich green color. Both zucchini and yellow squash have a similar taste and texture, and you can use them interchangeably in recipes. I like to use them together, like in this air fryer squash recipe, for some added color.
- Like any other air fryer recipe, you want to make sure you don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. The yellow squash and zucchini should lay in one flat layer, not stacked or overlapping. If they’re stacked, the air won’t circulate around the discs like it should. If the air can’t circulate, they won’t cook evenly. You may have to cook in two batches if you have a small air fryer or if you’re cooking a lot of squash.
- For extra flavor, you can mince a little garlic and toss it with the squash and oil. You could also try soy sauce or coconut aminos instead of olive oil.
- For crunchy squash and zucchini, try our recipe for Air Fryer Zucchini Chips. The veggies are sliced thin to crisp up nicely, and they’re topped with a little parmesan for a wonderful cheesy flavor.
While You’re Here, Check Out These Other Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Falafel
- Frozen Chicken Breast in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Empanadas
- Frozen Mozzarella Sticks in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
Air Fryer Squash
- Air Fryer
- Large bowl
- 1 small yellow squash
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Preheat air fryer to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Slice squash and zucchini into quarter-inch-thick discs.
- Place discs in bowl. Drizzle olive oil over vegetables and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat.
- Transfer squash to air fryer. Cook 6 to 7 minutes, or until tender but crisp.