This broccoli cornbread is incredibly moist, cheesy, and delicious! This flavorful bread is also a fun and easy way to sneak extra veggies into your diet.
What Makes This Broccoli Cornbread So Good
- It features a simple homemade cornbread recipe, avoiding the need for an otherwise unhealthy cornbread box mix. Despite a from-scratch recipe, this broccoli cornbread is still very easy to make!
- It’s a sneaky way to incorporate healthy veggies into your kid’s diet! The broccoli is hardly noticeable once mixed in with the other delicious ingredients.
- It’s a total crowd-pleaser! Make this broccoli cornbread for your next party or potluck for a side everyone will love.
Key Ingredients for Broccoli Cornbread
Broccoli – Finely chop fresh broccoli for this recipe. Start by lying a broccoli head on a cutting board and running a sharp knife over it several times. Aim for 1/4 to 1/8-inch broccoli chunks for this recipe.
Cottage Cheese – Cottage cheese makes this broccoli cornbread incredibly moist and delicious! It also adds an extra layer of irresistible cheesiness to this recipe.
Cheddar Cheese – Feel free to leave the cheddar cheese out of this recipe if you’d like. However, the cheddar cheese gives this dish a ton of flavor! The melted cheesy crust atop this cornbread takes it to next level deliciousness. If you don’t have cheddar cheese, you can use shredded Monterey jack cheese instead.
- Store leftover cornbread (though I highly doubt you’ll have any leftovers!) in an airtight container in the fridge. Enjoy cold or warmed for a few mins in a toaster oven.
- Keep an eye on the cheese on top of this broccoli cornbread while it bakes. If you find that it’s browning too quickly, simply cover the cornbread with a sheet of aluminum foil while it finishes baking.
- Feel free to add as much or as little broccoli as you’d like! You could increase the amount in this recipe to 3 cups of broccoli or decrease it to as little as 1 cup of broccoli.
More Side Dish Recipes You’ll Love
- Large bowl
- 9×9 baking pan
- 1 cup all purpose flour see Notes
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup sugar see Notes
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups broccoli finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a 9×9 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the butter, eggs, cottage cheese, and milk then stir to combine.
- Fold in half a cup of cheddar cheese and the broccoli, stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared baking pan and top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of pan comes out clean.
- Make it Gluten-Free: Use gluten-free all purpose flour in place of the all purpose flour in this recipe!
- Sugar: You can use white sugar, cane sugar, or even granular Swerve for the sugar in this recipe.