This broccoli cornbread is incredibly moist, cheesy, and delicious! This flavorful bread is also a fun and easy way to sneak extra veggies into your diet.
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- It features a simple homemade cornbread recipe, avoiding the need for an otherwise unhealthy cornbread box mix. Despite a from-scratch recipe, this broccoli cornbread is still very easy to make!
- It’s a sneaky way to incorporate healthy veggies into your kid’s diet! The broccoli is hardly noticeable once mixed in with the other delicious ingredients.
- It’s a total crowd-pleaser! Make this broccoli cornbread for your next party or potluck for a side everyone will love.
Broccoli – Finely chop fresh broccoli for this recipe. Start by lying a broccoli head on a cutting board and running a sharp knife over it several times. Aim for 1/4 to 1/8-inch broccoli chunks for this recipe.
Cottage Cheese – Cottage cheese makes this broccoli cornbread incredibly moist and delicious! It also adds an extra layer of irresistible cheesiness to this recipe.
Cheddar Cheese – Feel free to leave the cheddar cheese out of this recipe if you’d like. However, the cheddar cheese gives this dish a ton of flavor! The melted cheesy crust atop this cornbread takes it to next level deliciousness. If you don’t have cheddar cheese, you can use shredded Monterey jack cheese instead.
- Store leftover cornbread (though I highly doubt you’ll have any leftovers!) in an airtight container in the fridge. Enjoy cold or warmed for a few mins in a toaster oven.
- Keep an eye on the cheese on top of this broccoli cornbread while it bakes. If you find that it’s browning too quickly, simply cover the cornbread with a sheet of aluminum foil while it finishes baking.
- Feel free to add as much or as little broccoli as you’d like! You could increase the amount in this recipe to 3 cups of broccoli or decrease it to as little as 1 cup of broccoli.
More Side Dish Recipes You’ll Love
- 1 cup all purpose flour see Notes
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup sugar see Notes
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups broccoli finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided, optional
- Large bowl
- 9×9 baking pan
- Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a 9×9 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, salt, and baking powder.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the butter, eggs, cottage cheese, and milk then stir to combine.
- Fold in half a cup of cheddar cheese and the broccoli, stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared baking pan and top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of pan comes out clean.
- Make it Gluten-Free: Use gluten-free all purpose flour in place of the all purpose flour in this recipe!
- Sugar: You can use white sugar, cane sugar, or even granular Swerve for the sugar in this recipe.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.