Chinese vegetable soup is an incredible, light-yet-filling meal that’s full of flavor and nutrients. It’s naturally vegan and easy to make gluten-free. Ready to eat in less than 20 minutes!
What Makes This Soup So Good
- It’s full of hearty veggies, so it’s super filling, on top of being super tasty. It’s a light, brothy soup that doesn’t leave you feeling like you ate nothing.
- If you’re cutting out meat for a meal (or a month or a lifetime), this is a great option. Our Chinese vegetable soup is completely vegan, plus it’s a good source of protein for a meal, coming in at roughly 11 grams per serving.
- It comes together in no time at all. Perfect for any time you just need something quick and easy.
Bok Choy – This traditional Chinese leafy vegetable has a flavor sort of similar to cabbage, but also a little like celery and cucumber. If you’re not able to get bok choy, you can substitute Napa cabbage!
Vegetable Broth – Go for low sodium broth, since we’ll be adding our own salt to this soup! If you’re not vegan or vegetarian, you can use chicken broth or even beef broth if you want to.
- For extra flavor, try adding a little rice vinegar. Just a splash!
- For the freshest bok choy, look for green heads with firm stems that fit close together. The leaves will separate from the others when they begin to wilt.
- Don’t overcook the bok choy. It only needs a few minutes, and you want it softened, not mushy!
- If you want your Chinese vegetable soup to have even more substance, you can prepare a package of rice noodles while your broth is on the stove, then divide the noodles between two bowls and ladle the soup onto them.
What Do We Mean By “Healthy?”
Our recipes focus on real ingredients and homemade elements. We try to avoid processed flour and sugar, like white flour or white sugar. Our recipes often swap less healthy options (like a commercial, deep-fried tostada) for an easy homemade version.
Our recipes are not necessarily low fat or low calorie, and we aren’t afraid of fat or carbs! Some of our recipes will be “skinny,” low carb, keto, paleo, dairy free, grain free, gluten free, Whole30, or vegan, and they will be labeled when they qualify for any of these diets. All our recipes are easy and family friendly!
More Tasty Soup Recipes
- Keto Egg Drop Soup
- Smoked Turkey and White Bean Soup
- Vegan Potato Soup
- Healthy Zuppa Toscana (Whole30, Paleo, Dairy Free)
- Best Ever Tom Kha Gai Soup
- Irish Potato Soup
Chinese Vegetable Soup
- Medium saucepan
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 head bok choy sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons salt plus more as needed
- pepper to taste
- cilantro optional, for garnish
- scallions optional, for garnish
- In large pot, bring water and broth to boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Add bok choy, carrots, and mushrooms. Cook approximately 2 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and sesame oil. Cook an additional 2-5 minutes, until bok choy softens.
- Stir in salt and pepper, to taste. Portion into bowls and garnish with cilantro and scallions. Serve warm.
- Make it Gluten-Free: Double check that your broth doesn’t include any gluten-containing ingredients, like hydrolized wheat protein, and make sure to use a gluten-free soy sauce (or tamari).