This gluten free gingerbread is deliciously spiced, sweet, and perfect for the holidays. Soft and moist with a dusting of powdered sugar, it’s as richly flavored as the traditional, but with absolutely no gluten.
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- This gingerbread is surprisingly easy to make and perfect for winter and Christmas. Spiced with traditional ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and a dash of molasses, it’s amazingly sweet and moist.
- Made with gluten-free ingredients, it’s naturally vegetarian and easy to make vegan with a few simple swaps.
How To Make Gluten Free Gingerbread
The full recipe & ingredients list are below, but here you’ll find a quick overview for making this recipe perfectly, along with useful tips and info!
In a large bowl, cream together the sugars and butter. Beat in the egg, then mix in the molasses.
In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients, then blend into the creamed mixture. Stir in the hot water.
Pour into a prepared pan and bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool, then dust with powdered sugar, if desired, and slice. Serve with whipped cream and cherries or cranberries if you like.
Top Tips For Making
- Make sure your gluten free flour contains xanthan gum. If it doesn’t, you’ll definitely want to make sure you add some, otherwise the texture of your gluten free gingerbread will not be as light and fluffy as a traditional recipe!
- To make this recipe vegan, use vegan butter and a flax egg.
More Gluten Free Recipes
- Peanut Butter Pancakes
- Gluten Free Cornbread with Honey
- Gluten Free Stuffing
- Fluffy Gluten-Free Pancakes
Gluten Free Gingerbread
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum only if your flour does not contain xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- powdered sugar for dusting, if desired
- whipped cream for serving, optional
- cranberries or cherries for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Grease and flour a 9×9 inch square pan. In a large bowl, cream together the sugars and butter.
- Beat in the egg, then mix in the molasses.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Blend into the creamed mixture. Stir in the hot water.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Continue baking another 10-15 minutes if necessary. Allow to cool in the pan before serving. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with whipped and cranberries or cherries, if desired.
- Flour notes: Make sure your gluten free flour contains xanthan gum or add 1/2 tsp xanthan gum if it does not.
- Vegan: Sub egg with flax egg and butter with vegan butter.