Healthy baked chicken tostadas are a simple Mexican recipe packed full of authentic flavors. The tasty chicken tinga is quick to make and is a great easy weeknight meal.
Why this Chicken Tostada recipe is so good!
This chicken tostada recipe is a great option when you are craving Mexican, but you are short on time. Chicken tinga is the basis of these tostadas and it comes to together so quickly and easily for a punch of flavor. You are going to love this delicious and healthy weeknight meal!
How to make Chicken Tostadas – step by step
Preheat the oven to 400º. Brush both sides of tortillas with a little avocado oil or spray with spray oil and sprinkle with salt. Place on baking sheet. bake 10-16 minutes total until lightly browned on edges and tortilla feels stiff, flipping every 5 minutes
Blend all tinga sauce ingredients until hot or combine with chicken in saucepan and heat over medium low heat. if sauce is hot, just Toss with chicken
Microwave beans until warm and stir well. Spread 1-2 tbsp refried beans on tostada and top with chicken
To make the guac, mash together lime, guacamole, and salt to taste.
Chicken Tostadas Assembly Order
Start with the tostada.
Top with beans, about 1/4 cup. Sprinkle with salt.
Next, place some chicken tinga, about 1/3 cup.
Then sprinkle on some lettuce.
Spoon some guacamole over the lettuce.
Top with a bit of shredded or crumbled cheese and fresh salsa.
And there we have it! Delicious and healthy chicken tostadas made in no time at all!
Tostadas vs Tacos
There are definitely similarities between these two Mexican dishes, but the main difference is, is that tacos are folded and easy to eat with your hands, where as tostadas are built on a flat tortilla. A taco is a traditionally a snack food. The tortillas for the base of a tostada are traditionally fried.
Are these chicken tostadas healthy?
The main thing that makes these tostadas healthier than other versions, is that the tortillas are baked rather than fried. They are still crunchy, but don’t contain the oil and fat of the fried variety. The tinga sauce doesn’t have any added sugar in and there is not a processed ingredient in sight! Each loaded tostada comes in under 300 calories.
What do you eat with tostadas?
These tostadas are loaded with healthy toppings and they are well balanced, so you can serve a couple of these and you will have a hearty meal. I like serving them alongside a fresh salad for some added goodness.
How do you eat chicken tostadas?
Tostadas are a traditional Mexican street food and are meant to be eaten with your hands – they are messy and fun to eat! I won’t blame you if you reach for a knife and fork though!
- Be sure to use corn tortillas, not flour for this recipe.
- All of the ingredients are gluten-free, just be sure if you or someone in your family is sensitive to gluten you get a GF tortilla.
- If you have any leftover chicken, keep it covered in the fridge for 2 – 3 days, it’s great to serve on a salad for lunch the next day!
Be sure to check out these other healthy Mexican chicken recipes!
What do we mean by “healthy”?
Our recipes focus on real ingredients and homemade elements. We try to avoid processed flour and sugar, like white flour or white sugar. Our recipes often swap less healthy options, like a commercial, deep-friend tostada, for an easy homemade version.
I would love to hear if you have tried this chicken tostada recipe – do leave me a star rating and comment down below!
Be sure to share your photos of your creations on Instagram too!
Healthy Chicken Tostadas
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 1 chipotle pepper
- 1/2 tbsp adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- Can refried beans
- 8 corn tortillas
- oil to brush tortillas
- 2 avocados
- 1 Lime juiced
- Fresh salsa to top
- Shredded lettuce to top
- shredded cheese or crumbled queso fresco to top
- Preheat the oven to 400º. Brush both sides of tortillas with a little avocado oil or spray with spray oil and sprinkle with salt. Place on baking sheet. bake 10-16 minutes total until lightly browned on edges and tortilla feels stiff, flipping every 5 minutes
- Blend all tinga sauce ingredients until hot or combine with chicken in saucepan and heat over medium low heat. if sauce is hot, just Toss with chicken
- Microwave beans until warm and stir well. Spread 1-2 tbsp refried beans on tostada and top with chicken
- Guac: mash together lime, guacamole, and salt to taste.
Assemble: (bottom to top)
- TOSTADABEANS 1/4 cup. Sprinkle top with saltCHICKEN about 1/3 cupLETTUCE sprinkleGUAC 2 tbspCHEESE sprinkleSALSA sprinkle