This taco sauce made from scratch is so easy, yet tastes just as flavorful as the sauce you get at your favorite Mexican restaurant. Perfect on tacos, enchiladas, burritos, or in salads, and made with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry, you will never go back to store-bought taco sauce again!
This super easy taco sauce is made with just a couple cans of tomato sauces and a handful of spices. We love this sauce on homemade tacos, taco salads, frozen burritos, and even scrambled eggs. This recipe makes enough sauce to last you awhile, so pour it in a jar and enjoy zesty, spicy sauce with all your Mexican food. It’s way cheaper (and tastier) than the store-bought kind, too!
What You’ll Need To Make This Recipe
Canned tomato sauce
Granulated white sugar
How To Make Homemade Taco Sauce
- Add all the ingredients to a saucepan over medium heat. Stir everything to combine.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until it has thickened a little. Once the sauce is thick, remove the saucepan from the heat. Let it cool completely before serving.
Top Tips For Making
- Add a little more cayenne pepper to taste if you like your taco sauce extra spicy.
- You can also swap out the sugar for another granulated sweetener, like Swerve.
What Do We Mean By “Healthy?”
Our recipes focus on real ingredients and homemade elements. We try to avoid processed flour and sugar, like white flour or white sugar. Our recipes often swap less healthy options (like a commercial, deep-fried tostada) for an easy homemade version.
Our recipes are not necessarily low fat or low calorie, and we aren’t afraid of fat or carbs! Some of our recipes will be “skinny,” low carb, keto, paleo, dairy free, grain free, gluten free, Whole30, or vegan, and they will be labeled when they qualify for any of these diets. All our recipes are easy and family friendly!
More Delicious Mexican Recipes
- Cucumber Salsa
- Crockpot Queso Dip
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- 8 Can Taco Soup
- Healthy Mexican Chicken Meal Prep
- Smoky Chipotle Mayo
Homemade Taco Sauce
- 2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan over medium heat and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low. Let simmer 20 minutes or until thickened. Once thick, remove saucepan from the heat. Let cool completely before serving.
- Spicier sauce: Add more cayenne pepper to taste
- Sugar: Can substitute another granulated sweetener, such as Swerve