Easy and nutritious black rice perfectly cooked in the Instant Pot! Two ingredients, 30 minutes, and minimal effort is all that’s required for this super simple recipe.
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- It’s totally foolproof! The Instant Pot takes all the guess work out of how to cook black rice. Simply place all ingredients in the pot, secure the lid, then leave it to do all the hard work.
- Black rice is super nutritious! It’s loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Black rice is best known for reducing inflammation and boosting overall health.
- It requires just two ingredients! Black rice and water is all you’ll need for this Instant Pot recipe.
Black Rice – There’s a wide variety of black rice (long-grain, short-grain, jasmine, etc), and any kind will work in this recipe. The secret to perfectly fluffy and tender black rice is washing it very well before cooking. By washing it, you therefore remove any residual starch surrounding the grains. If left behind, these starches will yield a very sticky, gummy, and overall unappetizing rice.
Water – Really any type of liquid will work here! You can easily replace the water with vegetable or chicken broth for even more flavor.
- Feel free to spice up this Instant Pot black rice any way you’d like! Add a pinch of salt and your favorite spices for tons of flavor. I also love finishing off my black rice with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and a sprinkling of fresh herbs.
- Don’t forget to fluff cooked rice before serving. Fluffing will help separate the grains, therefore preventing the rice from sticking together as it cools. To do this, simply use a fork to gently lift and stir the cooked black rice in the pot.
- Use this black rice in any/all of your favorite recipes! It’s the perfect 1:1 replacement to white or brown rice. Black rice tastes delicious in grain bowls, over salads, or as an easy side dish!
More Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love
- Instant Pot Chicken Paprikash
- Instant Pot Bacon
- Beer-Infused Instant Pot Brats
- Instant Pot Cornbread
- Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 1 cup black rice
- 1 cup water
- Instant Pot
- Wash and rinse black rise well, until water runs clear.
- Add drained black rice and water to Instant Pot, secure lid, and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Let steam naturally release for 10 minutes, then manually release any remaining steam before removing lid. Fluff cooked rice with a fork and serve warm.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.