Savory meat pie is a classic crowd pleaser, but traditional versions can be hard to fit into a keto or low-carb lifestyle. This Keto Meat Pie recipe has all the flavor and texture of classic meat pie with a fraction of the macros.
What Makes This Keto Meat Pie Recipe So Good
- The dough can be made in advance and refrigerated for up to 3 days before you bake the full pie, which is super convenient for holiday dinners and regular meal prepping.
- The ground beef in this recipe is a great low-carb source of protein and fat. If you don’t eat beef, you can also use ground turkey or ground pork, though your flavor profiles will be slightly different at the end.
Xanthan Gum – This gluten-free thickener is perfect for keto recipes because it has 0g net carbs and won’t spike your blood sugar. It’s becoming easier to find xanthan gum in most local grocery stores, too!
Apple Cider Vinegar – There are a lot of myths surrounding apple cider vinegar, but there is really no negative nutritional impact from consuming it on a ketogenic diet. It won’t knock you out of ketosis – in fact, the acetic acid in ACV is thought to help accelerate fat loss and to lower blood sugar levels.
Mushrooms – These veggies are extremely low-carb, and low in calories, too! They’re a great addition to a keto-friendly recipe.
How to Make Keto Meat Pie
Start with the crust! This recipe uses the exact same keto pie crust that is used in the Easy Keto Pumpkin Pie Recipe from 40 Aprons, and it is amazing.
Pulse your powders in a food processor bowl until they’re combined evenly. Add in the butter and cream cheese and pulse until crumbly, then add the egg and vinegar. After all of that is pulsed into crumbs, form it into a flattened ball and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour up to 3 days.
Here’s the fun part – roll the dough out into a 12″ circle on wax or parchment paper. Use whichever you prefer and have handy, but I prefer wax paper. The dough might crack a little, but that’s fine. Just press it all back together and keep on rolling!
Carefully lift the paper with the 12″ dough circle above your pie pan and flip it over so the dough lays in the pan. Gently peel away the paper and press the dough into the pan, then trim away the excess dough around the edges. Use a fork to poke holes all over the dough and then freeze everything for at least 10 minutes.
For the filling, sauté garlic and onion in butter and add in everything but the tomato paste, mushrooms, and cheese. Cook it all together until the meat is brown, then add in the remaining ingredients and cook until the mushrooms are soft. Pour the filling into the pie crust, top with mozzarella, and bake it all for 25-30 minutes!
- If your dough becomes hard to work with, just pop it back in the freezer or fridge for 10 minutes. Chilled dough is easier to work with than warm dough!
- Store leftover pie in an airtight container and refrigerate up to 2-3 days. Let the pie cool for no more than 2 hours before refrigerating.
- Because you’ll be baking the meat in the oven, don’t overcook it on the stove top or it will be dry by the time you eat the finished meat pie. Cook it on the stove just until it’s browned, then cook with the mushrooms just until they’re softened.
- Reheat leftover pie pieces in the oven to keep the crust crisp.
What Do We Mean By “Healthy?”
Our recipes focus on real ingredients and homemade elements. We try to avoid processed flour and sugar, like white flour or white sugar. Our recipes often swap less healthy options (like a commercial, deep-fried tostada) for an easy homemade version.
Our recipes are not necessarily low fat or low calorie, and we aren’t afraid of fat or carbs! Some of our recipes will be “skinny,” low carb, keto, paleo, dairy free, grain free, gluten free, Whole30, or vegan, and they will be labeled when they qualify for any of these diets. All our recipes are easy and family friendly!
More Amazing Keto Recipes
- Keto White Chicken Chili
- Keto French Toast
- Italian Breakfast Casserole (Whole30, Keto)
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Keto Tuna Salad
- Keto Meatloaf
Keto Meat Pie
- Food processor
- Plastic Wrap
- Wax or Parchment Paper
For the Pie Crust
- 125 grams almond flour scant ½ cup
- 50 grams coconut flour 1 cup + 4 teaspoons
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 130 grams unsalted grass-fed butter cold, about 1 stick + 1 ½ tablespoons
- 70 grams cream cheese cold, about 2 ⅓ ounces
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2 ½ teaspoons apple cider vinegar
For the Meat Filling
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups mozzarella divided
For the Pie Crust
- Add almond flour, coconut flour, xanthan gum, and salt to food processor bowl. Pulse until evenly combined.
- Add butter and cream cheese. Pulse until crumbly, just a few seconds.
- Add in egg and vinegar. Pulse until dough just starts to come together and resembles moist crumbs, not smooth dough.
- Pour dough onto plastic wrap. Form a ball, then press to flatten. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour up to 3 days.
- Roll out cold dough between wax or parchment paper. If crust cracks or falls apart, press pieces back together and continue. Roll out to a 12" circle. Carefully lift paper over pie plate and flip over, gently removing paper and laying dough into pie pan.
- Gently press dough into pan and cut away excess edges. Prick all over with fork. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325º Fahrenheit. After crust has chilled, pre-bake crust 8-12 minutes or until lightly golden.Remove crust and increase heat to 350º.
For the Meat Filling
- While the crust is pre-baking, sauté garlic and onion in butter until tender, 1-2 minutes.
- Add in ground beef, salt, and pepper. Cook until browned.
- Add tomato paste and mushrooms. Cook all together until evenly combined and mushrooms are softened, 6-8 minutes. Stir in one cup of mozzarella.
- Pour filling into crust and spread evenly. Top with remaining mozzarella and black pepper. Bake for 25-30 minutes until browned and cooked evenly.