This recipe for keto smothered pork chops combines tender, pan-seared pork chops, an irresistibly creamy mushroom garlic sauce, and crispy, savory bacon into a simple, easy-to-make, deliciously low carb entrée everyone will enjoy.
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- Keto smothered pork chops are an impressively delicious entrée that’s low in carbs but high in flavor. The recipe is simple, too. Boneless pork chops, seared in bacon fat and smothered in a creamy mushroom garlic sauce thickened with heavy cream and cream cheese and seasoned with fresh herbs.
- This recipe isn’t for dairy avoiders, unfortunately, but it’s great if you’re low carb, keto, gluten free, or focusing on your protein intake! With only 8g total carbs (7g net) and 45g of protein per serving, this is a great option when you need a lean, carbless protein that isn’t chicken for the thousandth time.
- Smothered pork chops go well with a variety of keto sides. Zucchini noodles and mashed cauliflower are always a great choice. Cheesy keto green beans, broccoli cauliflower casserole, and Instant Pot asparagus are all wonderful, visually beautiful options, too.
- You want to use pork chops that are between ¾-inch and 1-inch thick. Any thinner than ¾-inch and you risk them drying out and overcooking. Thicker, they’ll take longer to cook. We used boneless pork chops, but bone-in will work, too! If your pork chops are uneven, pound them with a meat tenderizer or even a rolling pin until they’re evenly thick. Having them roughly the same size and thickness will let them cook at the same rate.
- To keep the sauce from curdling or separating, make sure the heavy cream and cream cheese are at (or close to) room temperature, and remove the skillet from the heat before adding them to the other ingredients. If the dairy ingredients are cold when you add them to the skillet, the temperature difference will cause them to react… undesirably.
More Keto Recipes You’ll Love
- Keto Spaghetti and Meatballs
- Perfect Keto Lemon Curd (4 Ingredients)
- Keto Gumbo
- Sausage & Egg Keto Breakfast Casserole
- Keto Chicken Pot Pie
- 4 medium boneless pork chops approximately 6 ounces each, ¾-1 inch thick
- salt to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 5 strips bacon chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms chopped
- 1 medium leek chopped, approximately 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream at or close to room temperature
- 2 ounces full-fat cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- Cutting board
- 2 plates
- Paper towels
- large cast iron skillet
- slotted spatula
- Small bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Place pork chops on cutting board. Season pork chops generously on all sides with salt and pepper and set aside. Line one plate with paper towels and set aside.
- Heat large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. When skillet is hot, add chopped bacon. Fry bacon 6 to 7 minutes or until crispy. Transfer cooked bacon to plate lined with paper towels and set aside. Do not drain skillet.
- Place pork chops in skillet. Sear pork chops in rendered bacon fat 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown, then flip pork chops and sear other side 3 to 4 minutes.
- When pork chops are seared on both sides, transfer pork chops to plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat under skillet to medium. Add chopped mushrooms and leek to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 to 6 minutes or until softened.
- When mushrooms and leek have softened, add butter and minced garlic to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted and garlic is fragrant, approximately 2 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth into skillet and use spatula to scrape up any food that might be stuck to bottom of pan. Remove skillet from heat and pour in heavy cream, then stir to incorporate.
- When cream is fully incorporated, return skillet to heat and bring mixture to boil. Once mixture begins to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and let mixture simmer 2 to 3 minutes.
- After 2-3 minutes, remove skillet from heat and add softened cream cheese, parsley, and thyme. Stir until cream cheese begins to melt, then return skillet to heat and stir until cream cheese is fully melted. Simmer mixture 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture has thickened.
- Return cooked bacon and seared pork chops to skillet. Spoon sauce over pork chops and cook over medium-low heat 4 to 5 minutes or until pork chops reach internal temperature of 145° Fahrenheit. Serve warm with zucchini noodles, mashed cauliflower, or other keto sides as desired.
- Pork Chops: We used boneless pork chops, but bone-in pork chops will work just fine.
- Cream Cheese: Use a full-fat cream cheese without added sugars and with the lowest carb count you can find. Philadelphia Original cream cheese has been the best option I’ve found at my grocery stores.
- Make it Lower Carb: Omit the leek. For even fewer carbs, omit both the leek and the mushrooms.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.