Who could resist a delicious, gooey grilled cheese sandwich? Elevated with crisp sourdough, this easy comfort recipe will transport you right back to your childhood after the very first bite!
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- Sourdough grilled cheese puts a simple but slightly-fancy twist on a classic grilled cheese. The sourdough crisps up beautifully thanks to a little butter (and mayo!), and the blend of melty cheeses is flavorful and rich and absolutely wonderful.
- You can keep things basic and only use cheese in your sandwich, but I implore you to get a little creative. Add strips of grilled chicken or thin slices of turkey. Layer the cheese with tomato and basil. Add bacon jam or pesto. The possibilities are truly endless!
- For the best ever sourdough grilled cheese, you absolutely HAVE to cook it low and slow! Medium-low heat is the key to a completely melty grilled cheese that’s not burnt or charred. If you feel like your bread looks done but your cheese isn’t melted, cover the pan with a lid for a minute or two. You’ll capture all that heat and channel it right into the cheese.
- You’ll want the butter to be soft for easy and even spreading. If you normally keep your butter in the fridge, take it out at least one hour before making your grilled cheese. If you forget, just put some butter in the microwave for about 30 seconds and it’ll be good to go!
- We’re using tasty swiss and cheddar cheese for this recipe. If you want to substitute any other cheeses like muenster or havarti, go for it! Just keep in mind that harder cheeses like parmesan don’t melt as easily as others. You can still use it, of course, I’d just recommend to have it shredded instead of sliced. It’ll melt better that way!
Other Delicious Sandwich Recipes
- Chicken Parm Sandwich
- Turkey Melt With Cheddar, Spinach, And Bacon
- Chicken Pesto Sandwich
- Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Caprese Sandwich
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 tablespoons butter softened, divided
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise divided
- Large skillet
- Heat large skillet over medium-low heat.
- While skillet warms, spread 1 tablespoon softened butter on one side of each piece of bread.
- Place 2 slices of cheddar and 2 slices of swiss on top of one slice of buttered sourdough. Top cheeses with another slice of buttered sourdough, with buttered side facing cheeses. Repeat with remaining bread and cheese to form second sandwich.
- Spread ½ tablespoon mayonnaise on outside of top piece of sourdough for each sandwich. Place sandwiches in warm skillet, mayonnaise-side down, and spread another ½ tablespoon mayonnaise on outside of bread facing up.
- Cook sandwiches 3 to 4 minutes, then flip sandwiches over and cook another 3 to 4 minutes, until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted. Serve warm as-is or with desired sides.
- If your bread is cooking faster than the cheese is melting, cover the skillet with a lid for 1-2 minutes.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.