These steamed potatoes are irresistibly soft and buttery! In a few simple steps you’ll have a healthy side dish that pairs well with virtually any meal. Make these steamed potatoes the next time you’re craving something quick, easy, and delicious!
What Makes These Steamed Potatoes So Good
- They’re cooked to soft, buttery perfection! Steaming is one of the best ways to guarantee deliciously tender potatoes every time.
- They require barely any effort at all. Simply add to a steamer basket, then remove and toss in butter and fresh herbs – that’s it! Leave these steamed potatoes to cook while you work on the rest of your meal and you’ll have dinner on the table in no time.
- They’re super easy to customize to your liking! Use your favorite fresh herbs and add as much or as little salt as you’d like.
Key Ingredients for Steamed Potatoes
Baby Potatoes – There are a few kinds of baby potatoes out there, and any kind will work in this recipe. These steamed potatoes are also a great dish to throw together when you have any leftover potatoes lying around. No need to peel or chop these potatoes either. Simply give them a good rinse then toss them straight into a steamer basket!
Fresh Herbs – I used fresh parsley and chives, but you can use a few tablespoons of whatever fresh herbs you’d like! Fresh dill, cilantro, thyme, and basil are all delicious options as well. Have fun with this part of the recipe, get creative and make it your own.
- Depending on the size of your potatoes, they may take longer to cook. At the 20 minute mark, check on the potatoes to see how they’re progressing. Do this by gently piercing one with a fork, if the fork glides through the potato easily then they’re ready to eat!
- If you don’t have a steamer basket, then simply add the potatoes to a medium pot with one inch of water. Cover the pot with a lid and simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Turn this into a complete meal by adding some broccoli to the steamer basket in the final 4-5 minutes of cooking. When done, toss potatoes and broccoli in the butter and herbs then serve alongside a protein for a healthy weeknight meal!
More Easy Side Dish Recipes You’ll Love
- Air Fryer Squash
- Gluten Free Onion Rings
- Garlic Butter Parsley Potatoes
- Stewed Potatoes
- Blistered Shishito Peppers with Lemon-Garlic Aioli
Steamed Potatoes with Herbs
- Medium pot
- Steamer basket
- 1 ½ pounds baby potatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter see Notes
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh herbs see Notes
- Additional salt to taste
- Add about one inch of water to a pot with a steamer basket. Once simmering, add the potatoes and salt into the steamer basket, cover, and cook for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Transfer steamed potatoes to a large bowl with the butter and fresh herbs, tossing to coat. Taste and season with additional salt as desired.
- Make it Vegan: Use vegan butter or olive oil in place of the butter in this recipe.
- Fresh Herbs: I used fresh chives and parsley, but you can use any fresh herbs you’d like in this recipe.