This air fryer falafel is crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and incredibly flavorful throughout! Chickpeas and a variety of fresh herbs are what make this plant-based recipe delicious. This air fryer falafel is a healthier take on a much-loved classic!
What Makes This Air Fryer Falafel So Good
- It packs all of the traditional falafel flavors, without the extra oil. The air fryer replaces deep-frying in this recipe, making it all the more light and healthy!
- It’s packed, and I mean packed, with flavor! Fresh parsley, fresh cilantro, and fresh dill are just a few of the incredible flavors you can expect from this recipe. It’s almost hard to believe that something so healthy, could taste so good!
- The air fryer doesn’t only make this recipe healthier, but it makes it easier too! Simply transfer your falafel to an air fryer basket, then leave them to cook and return to perfectly crispy falafel every time.
Key Ingredients for Air Fryer Falafel
Chickpeas – This bean is the base to every traditional falafel recipe. I made this recipe extra easy for you, by using canned, instead of dried, chickpeas. Start by draining the liquid from two cans of chickpeas, then give them a rinse before they’re ready to use in this air fryer falafel recipe. Chickpeas are high in vitamins and rich in plant-based protein, making them a super healthy and nutritious ingredient!
Baking Powder – This may seem like a strange ingredient in this recipe, but trust me when I tell you that it is key to the best falafel ever. Baking powder makes the interior of this falafel super light and airy! Without it, this falafel would be far too dense and less enjoyable.
Spray Cooking Oil – Since we eliminate the need to deep-fry in this recipe, we do need to add just a bit of oil to keep things from sticking. Start by coating the bottom of your air fryer basket or baking sheet with spray cooking oil, and finish by also lightly spritzing the top of each falafel before cooking. I use and recommend spray avocado oil in this recipe, but really any spray cooking oil will work.
- Whatever you do, do not skip refrigerating the falafel mixture in step 2. Refrigeration gives the mixture time to set and will aid in binding the falafel together while it cooks!
- There is no limit to how you can serve this falafel! It’d be delicious in a pita, over a salad, or simply dipped in hummus. Sometimes I even find myself eating this falafel entirely on its own, it’s that good!
- This air fryer falafel can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days. To preheat, transfer back to the air fryer set to 375° Fahrenheit for 5-8 minutes or until heated through.
What Do We Mean By Healthy?
Our recipes focus on real ingredients and homemade elements. We try to avoid processed flour and sugar, like white flour or white sugar. Our recipes often swap less healthy options (like a commercial, deep-fried tostada) for an easy homemade version.
Our recipes are not necessarily low fat or low calorie, and we aren’t afraid of fat or carbs! Some of our recipes will be “skinny,” low carb, keto, paleo, dairy free, grain free, gluten free, Whole30, or vegan, and they will be labeled when they qualify for any of these diets. All our recipes are easy and family friendly!
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes You’ll Love
- Air Fryer Garlic Bread
- Air Fryer Corn Dogs
- 30 Keto Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Popcorn
- Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
Air Fryer Falafel
- Food processor
- Air Fryer
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup parsley chopped
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- ½ cup fresh dill chopped
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour see Notes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
For air frying:
- spray cooking oil
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until very finely chopped, but not pureed.
- Refrigerate falafel mixture for at least one hour.
- Remove from fridge and scoop two tablespoons of falafel mixture into your hands then roll into a ball. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Coat the basket of your air fryer with spray cooking oil and transfer falafel to the basket. Lightly spray falafel with cooking oil and set the air fryer to 15 minutes at 375° Fahrenheit.
- Flip each falafel and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Make it Gluten-Free: Use 1:1 gluten-free flour instead of all purpose flour in this recipe.