If you are in need of an easy and delicious recipe, then this Vegan Potato Soup is totally for you! This recipe is silky in flavor, and it has the most savory notes you could ever ask for.
Why This Soup Is So Good
- This Vegan Potato Soup is so amazing because of how simple it is!
- This soup has the most amazing silky-garlicky flavors, ever.
- Thanks to the potatoes, you have a soup that has chunky and tender flavors.
How To Make It
- Finely chop onions and garlic. Peel the skins off the potatoes. In a large saucepan, saute onions and garlic in avocado oil or other neutral oil until translucent in color.
- Cut potatoes into cubes. Transfer to pan and season with salt and pepper.
- Blend cashews and almond milk in blender until smooth.
- Add vegetable broth and cashew mixture into pan with potatoes. Simmer covered for 15 minutes or until potatoes reach tender consistency. You can check the tenderness by inserting a fork in potato.
- With a potato masher, mash potatoes until you reach the desired consistency. Add more broth if needed. We like our potato soup to be a bit chunky, but smooth.
- Serve potato soup in bowls. Garnish with green onions, chives, and or olive oil.
You can serve this soup with all kinds of things! This soup would be perfect as a side to a salad, sandwich, or just by itself! This soup would even be great dip with crackers or bread.
Why do I have to use cashews in this recipe?
Cashews are used simply for thickening the textures of sauces, soups, and other dishes. Not only do they make sauces more creamy and thick, but they add a little extra protein in the recipes, too! We think cashews are great to use rather than sour cream, heavy cream, or yogurt.
- Make sure your potatoes are fully boiled.
- It’s okay if you do not have brewers or nutritional yeast, and no, you cannot use active dry yeast that is used in breads!
- We thought blending the potatoes in the blender made the soup a bit too soupy, but you can totally go that route!
Be sure to check out these other amazing Vegan recipes!
- Instant Pot Quinoa
- Cheesy Vegan Broccoli Soup (Whole30, Paleo)
- Best Vegan Queso (Ever)
- Perfect Whole30 Instant Pot Tomato Soup (Vegan)
- ½ of one small onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 17 small potatoes Yukon Gold preferred
- 1 tablespoon cashews
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast or brewer's yeast
- 1 ½ cups non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 ¾ cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil plus more as needed
- green onions or chives optional, for garnish
- Cutting board
- Large saucepan
- Potato masher
- Finely chop onions and garlic. Peel potatoes and cut them into cubes. In large saucepan, saute onions and garlic in avocado oil or other neutral oil, until onions are translucent in color. Add potatoes to saucepan and season with salt and pepper.
- Blend cashews and almond milk in blender until smooth. Add vegetable broth & cashew mixture to saucepan with potatoes.
- Simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender. Mash potatoes until desired consistency is reached. Add more broth if needed. We like our potato soup to be chunky, but smooth.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with green onions, chives, and/or olive oil. Serve warm.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.