Chili's Southwest Chicken Soup
This Chili's southwest chicken soup is easy to make at home with just one pot! Loaded with flavor and fresh ingredients, this soup will quickly become one of your favorites.
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 quart chicken stock see Notes
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup white hominy or navy beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- corn tortilla chips for serving
- shredded cheese or crumbled queso fresco for serving
Heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper, then transfer to pot and cook for about 5 minutes per side or until cooked through. Remove from pot and leave to rest for a few minutes on the counter.
Add the remaining two tablespoons of vegetable oil to pot along with the chopped onion, green bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until onion is soft.
Add in the cumin, chili powder, and paprika cooking for about 1 minute or until fragrant.
Stir in the chicken stock, diced green chiles, diced tomatoes, and Hominy or navy beans. Chop the cooked chicken breast into small bite-sized pieces and place that into the pot as well.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for 5-8 minutes. Then remove from heat before adding in the lime juice and fresh cilantro.
Recipe yields approximately 4 servings. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
- Make it Paleo: Leave out the white hominy to make this a paleo meal.
- Chicken Stock: Feel free to use vegetable broth instead of chicken stock in this recipe.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using white hominy and not including tortilla strips or cheese. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by 4. Result will be the weight of one serving.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 394kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 80mg | Sodium: 1201mg | Potassium: 1097mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1482IU | Vitamin C: 49mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 4mg | Net Carbs: 22g