Keto Orange Chicken
This keto orange chicken recipe takes the flavors and textures you love in a classic orange chicken dish but makes it low carb and sugar free. Crispy, pan-fried chicken in a light breading, smothered with a sweet orange glaze made with erythritol. As good as your favorite take-out, without the sugar!
Servings: 4 servings
2 shallow bowls
1 Large skillet
1 Small saucepan
For the Chicken
- 2 tablespoons milk of choice or heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound chicken breasts approximately 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
For the Orange Sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or lite tamari
- zest from one orange
- juice from ½ of one orange
- ¼ cup erythritol powdered or granulated
- ¼ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger grated
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- coconut oil or avocado oil, for frying
- sesame seeds optional, for garnish
- chopped green onions optional, for garnish
In one shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. In other shallow bowl, whisk together coconut flour, salt, and black pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons coconut oil in large skillet over medium heat.
Dip chicken pieces in egg wash and let any excess drip back into bowl. Transfer chicken pieces to coconut flour mixture and coat well. Shake off any excess coconut flour.
Place floured chicken pieces in hot oil and pan-fry 1 to 2 minutes, or until browned. Flip chicken over and pan-fry another 1 to 2 minutes, or until browned on second side. Transfer fried chicken to plate or bowl and repeat process until all chicken pieces have been fried. Add more oil to pan as needed.
Add all sauce ingredients to small saucepan and bring mixture to boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and let sauce simmer until thick.
Pour sauce over fried chicken pieces and toss to coat thoroughly. Serve orange chicken warm over cauliflower rice if desired and garnish with sesame seeds and/or chopped green onions.
- To reduce the carbs even more, substitute the juice from the orange with drops of orange extract, to taste.
- Make it Gluten Free: Make sure your chicken broth doesn't contain any gluten and use a vinegar without gluten. Any vinegar will work.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 264kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 166mg | Sodium: 1283mg | Potassium: 924mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 205IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 2mg | Net Carbs: 8g