This bison chili is the perfect way to spice up your cold weather cooking routine! Made with lean and flavorful bison and pantry staples, it only takes about 40 minutes to make, but tastes like it's been simmering all day!
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 pound ground bison
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 (10.75-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can kidney beans drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can chili beans drained
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
Brown the bison in a stock pot with garlic and onions over medium heat. Season with 1/2 teaspoon cumin and salt and black pepper. Drain excess grease.
Combine bison, tomatoes with green chiles, crushed tomatoes, kidney beans, chili beans, chili powder, and remaining cumin in pot; stir. Simmer chili for 25-30 minutes, then top with garnishes and serve.
- Beef: Can sub 1:1 for bison.
- Topping and side ideas: Sliced avocados, shredded cheese, sour cream or Greek yogurt, or sliced jalapeños. Try with a side of cornbread or corn chips.
Calories: 279kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 505mg | Potassium: 876mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 590IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 6mg | Net Carbs: 20g