Vegan Crème Brûlée
Our vegan crème brûlée is dairy-free and gluten-free, without sacrificing any of the rich flavor or classic texture you know and love. Ooh-la-la!
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 2 cups raw cashews
- ¾ cup vegan granulated sugar see Notes
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- pinch of turmeric see Notes
- 2 teaspoons vegan granulated sugar for topping
Combine coconut milk, arrowroot, and cashews in a small saucepan. Bring to boil, then turn off heat and remove.
Add in sugar, vanilla, and a pinch of turmeric.
Transfer mixture to blender. Blend until smooth, making sure to blend all cashew pieces well.
Pour liquid into small ramekins or crème brûlée dishes. Chill in refrigerator until set, approximately 4 to 5 hours.
Once set, top with sugar and caramelize with a blowtorch until evenly browned. Crack top layer with a spoon and enjoy.
- Not all sugar is vegan, so be sure to use a vegan sugar, like Sugar in the Raw.
- For gluten-free vegan crème brûlée, make sure your turmeric is gluten free. Most herbs and spices are safe, especially if they're fresh, but some manufacturers may add a little flour to prevent caking.
- If you don't have a blowtorch, you can get the same effect in the oven. Place the ramekins of set custard under the broiler for 1 to 3 minutes, or until the sugar is evenly browned.
Calories: 930kcal | Carbohydrates: 70g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 69g | Saturated Fat: 41g | Sodium: 34mg | Potassium: 866mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 42g | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 11mg | Net Carbs: 68g