This vegan shrimp tastes just like the real thing! Oyster mushrooms are coated in Panko breadcrumbs and Old Bay seasoning, then quickly fried until golden brown and crispy. This vegan shrimp is a total crowd-pleaser and will even have non-vegans reaching for more!
Servings: 4 servings
For the Vegan Shrimp
- 8 ounces king oyster mushroom stalks
- ½ cup almond milk see Notes
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
For the Vegan Sriracha Mayo
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- ½ - 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt to taste
- vegetable oil for frying
Slice oyster mushroom stalks into ½-inch discs, then slice each disk into shrimp shapes (similar to slicing it into a yin-yang symbol).
Mix together the almond or soy milk, flour, and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the Panko breadcrumbs and Old Bay seasoning.
Dip each “shrimp” into the flour and milk mixture, then coat in the breadcrumb mixture.
Heat ½-inch of oil in a pan over medium-high heat and fry each vegan shrimp for about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
Make the vegan sriracha mayo by adding all ingredients to a bowl and mixing until combined, then serve with vegan shrimp.
Recipe yields approximately 4 servings. Total number of vegan shrimp per serving will vary based on size of mushroom stalks. Nutritional values shown reflect information for one serving of vegan shrimp including the vegan sriracha mayo. Macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
- Almond Milk: Any non-dairy milk will work here, you could even use water instead of milk.
- Make it Gluten-Free: Use gluten-free flour instead of all purpose flour and gluten-free Panko breadcrumbs instead of regular Panko breadcrumbs.
- Baking Option: Preheat an oven to 400° Fahrenheit and bake vegan shrimp for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through, instead of frying.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 370mg | Potassium: 302mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 62IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 3mg | Net Carbs: 25g