Gluten Free Onion Rings
These gluten free onion rings are an easy way to get this classic comfort food at home and with absolutely zero gluten. They're the perfect side for burgers or hot dogs, or enjoy them on their own as a snack or appetizer. Can be made dairy free.
- 2 medium sweet onions sliced into rings
- cornstarch enough to dust sliced onions
- neutral oil for frying
For the Gluten Free Batter
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 1 ½ cups gluten free flour blend
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup milk of your choice, see Notes
- 1 cup club soda
If onions are not already sliced into rings, slice them now. Lightly dust sliced onion rings with cornstarch. Set aside.
In large bowl, mix together ⅓ cup cornstarch, gluten free flour blend, cornmeal, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
Once dry ingredients are combined, whisk in milk and club soda to form batter.
In large saucepan or skillet, heat neutral oil to 350° Fahrenheit.
When oil is hot, use fork to dip sliced onion rings into batter. Coat evenly and lift out of bowl, pausing to let any excess batter drip off onion rings.
Drop onion rings into hot oil. Fry until golden brown.
Use fork to remove onion rings from oil. Transfer onion rings to wire cooling rack over baking sheet lined with paper towels.
Repeat for any remaining onion rings. Serve warm with condiments of choice.
Recipe yields approximately 4 servings. Actual number of onion rings produced will depend on the size and thickness of the rings you cut. Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for one serving. Macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
- Milk: Whole milk, 2%, plant-based - any type of milk will work, just make sure to use an unsweetened variety.
- Tips for Frying: Work in batches and don't put too many onion rings in the oil at once! Overcrowding will keep the onion rings from frying evenly. Add just enough rings at a time that they can stay in a single layer.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 327kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 1218mg | Potassium: 345mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 347IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 141mg | Iron: 3mg | Net Carbs: 60g