This crunchy, tangy zucchini salad is the perfect side dish for a summer barbecue, or even as a simple lunch. With fresh zucchini slices, zesty lemon, salty parmesan cheese, and toasted pine nuts, it’s the perfect chilled salad.
What You’ll Need
- Zucchini – Raw zucchini is milder and more floral than cooked. It’s light, crunchy, and perfectly refreshing when chilled
- Parmesan cheese – Use freshly grated or shredded parmesan if you can, though from a bag is okay, too.
- Pine nuts – Don’t skip toasting them! The crisp, savory flavor combined with salty parmesan cheese, zesty lemon, and fresh zucchini is absolutely delicious.
- Lemon juice and zest – Adding a little tang of citrus to this salad brings out the other flavors.
- Salt and pepper – With all the simple yet bold tastes in this salad, light seasoning is all you need.
How To Make It
- Cut the zucchini into ribbons using a vegetable peeler or a mandolin.
- Mix the zucchini, lemon zest and juice, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Stir gently and toss to combine. Let it sit for about 10 minutes to marinate.
- Toast the pine nuts by adding to the non-stick pan over medium heat for about 5-10 minutes, or until the nuts are golden brown and fragrant.
- Top the zucchini mixture with the toasted pine nuts and shredded parmesan cheese. Serve.
- This salad is delicious chilled, so pop it in the fridge for about 30 minutes before serving (if you want).
- We used a vegetable peeler to ribbon the zucchini. Make sure to go slowly and apply just a little pressure to get a thick (but not too thick) slice.
- Keep an eye on your pine nuts while toasting them. Due to their high oil content, they can scorch easily.
More Easy Side Dishes
- French Green Lentils
- Garlic Butter Parsley Potatoes
- Cucumber Salsa
- Simple Asian Cucumber Salad
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- 3 zucchini medium
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
- zest from one lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Vegetable peeler or mandolin
- Cut zucchini into ribbons using vegetable peeler or a mandolin.
- Mix zucchini, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Stir gently and toss to combine. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Toast pine nuts in non-stick pan over medium heat for about 5-10 minutes, or until golden brown and fragrant.
- Top zucchini mixture with pine nuts and shredded parmesan cheese. Serve.
- Peeling zucchini: We used a vegetable peeler to ribbon the zucchini. Go slowly and apply just a little pressure to get a thick (but not too thick) slice.
- Serving option: We like this salad chilled. Cool in fridge for 30 minutes prior to serving.
- Pine nuts: Keep an eye on your pine nuts while toasting as they can scorch easily.
Number of total servings shown is approximate. Actual number of servings will depend on your preferred portion sizes.
Nutritional values shown are general guidelines and reflect information for 1 serving using the ingredients listed, not including any optional ingredients. Actual macros may vary slightly depending on specific brands and types of ingredients used.
To determine the weight of one serving, prepare the recipe as instructed. Weigh the finished recipe, then divide the weight of the finished recipe (not including the weight of the container the food is in) by the desired number of servings. Result will be the weight of one serving.