This buffalo chicken mac and cheese is as simple as it is delicious! A quick and easy homemade cheese sauce with added buffalo chicken is perfectly spicy and flavorful. Enjoy this irresistibly cheesy and comforting meal the next time you’re craving something quick and cozy.
What Makes This Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese So Good
- It’s out-of-this-world cheesy! A simple combination of mozzarella and cheddar cheese create a deliciously tangy and savory cheese sauce.
- It’s surprisingly easy to make! Start by cooking your pasta, then throwing together the cheese sauce – add some shredded chicken and buffalo sauce – then toss everything together and bake. You’ll have a complete and delicious meal in just a few very simple steps.
- Everyone, and I mean everyone, loves this buffalo chicken mac and cheese! It’s the perfect meal to throw together for friends and family. No one can resist its velvety smooth sauce, and layers of cheese!
Key Ingredients for Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
Whole Milk – Whole milk is the base of the delicious cheese sauce I can’t stop raving about! It makes the overall recipe super rich and comforting. I highly recommend whole milk for intense depth of flavor. However, 1% or 2% milk will also work in this buffalo chicken mac and cheese.
Buffalo Sauce – Use any buffalo sauce you’d like! If I’m making this dish for myself, then I reach for a medium to spicy buffalo sauce, as I love a bit of spice. Though if I’m making this recipe for others, I play things safe and use a mild buffalo sauce instead. There are a ton of great options out there and all will work in this comforting recipe.
Shredded Chicken – I used this method for super quick and easy shredded chicken. However, you can use any method you’d like to cook, shred, and prepare your chicken for this recipe. I also highly recommend prepping a big batch of shredded chicken, then freezing it for future use in a variety of recipes!
- If once the bake time is up, your buffalo chicken mac and cheese isn’t as brown on top as you’d like it – then switch your oven to high broil. Leave it in the oven for only a minute or two, and keep a close eye on it as it can burn quickly!
- I find the combination of mozzarella and cheddar work perfectly in this dish. However, feel free to add or switch up the cheese however you’d like! Some Monterey jack cheese or even all cheddar cheese would taste great as well.
- Top your finished dish off with an extra drizzle of buffalo sauce! Sometimes, I’ll even drizzle some ranch dressing on top, therefore making it that much more delicious. Get creative with your toppings, and customize this recipe however you’d like!
More Cheesy Recipes You’ll Love
- Cream Cheese Fat Bombs
- Keto Grilled Cheese
- Cream Cheese Sausage Balls
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
- Keto Cheese Sauce
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
- Large pot
- 9×13 baking dish
- 1 pound elbow pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese optional
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit and cook pasta according to package instructions, until al dente.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat, then add in the flour and whisk until a paste forms.
- Slowly pour in the milk, whisking constantly then bring the mixture to a boil before reducing to a simmer until sauce has thickened.
- Whisk in the mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, and buffalo sauce and continue to whisk until cheese has melted.
- Remove cheese sauce from heat and mix in the shredded chicken, cooked pasta, and chopped celery then transfer to a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Top mac and cheese with crumbled blue cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly brown and bubbly.
- Make it Gluten-Free: Replace the all purpose flour for rice flour or cassava flour and use one pound of your favorite gluten-free pasta.