This Chili’s southwest chicken soup is easy to make at home with just one pot! Loaded with flavor and fresh ingredients, this soup will quickly become one of your favorites.
What Makes This Chili’s Southwest Chicken Soup So Good
- It tastes just like the restaurant version! However, it’s super quick and easy to make in the comfort of your own home.
- It all comes together in just one pot! This Chili’s southwest chicken soup couldn’t possibly be easier to cook and cleanup. With just one pot you’ll have a complete, hearty, and tasty meal.
- It’s healthy but super satisfying! Loaded with lean chicken breast, fresh veggies, and a handful of flavorful spices. This dinner or lunch recipe is everything we stand for – easy, healthy, and delicious!
Key Ingredients for Chili’s Southwest Chicken Soup
Diced Green Chiles – One small can of diced green chiles give this soup a subtle spice and incredible flavor. These canned peppers make this recipe standout. You can find diced green chiles in either the ethnic or canned goods aisle of most grocery stores.
White Hominy or Navy Beans – White hominy is used in the famous Chili’s recipe. However, this unique ingredient can sometimes be hard to come by. Therefore, if you can’t find white hominy at your local grocery store, you can easily use a can of white navy beans instead.
- Wait until the very end of this recipe to adjust any seasonings as desired. This Chili’s southwest chicken soup needs time to cook and simmer to allow the flavors to fully develop. Therefore, wait until the last step of this recipe to give things a taste and add anything you’d like.
- Play around with the spices in this recipe. Feel free to make any adjustments to the amount of chili powder based on your spice tolerance. Though I find one tablespoon of chili powder adds a subtle spice without overpowering the soup.
- Serve this soup however you’d like! To keep it low-carb, then simply top it with some shredded cheese and enjoy. Though I love enjoying mine with a big bowl of tortilla chips for dipping and topping – yum!
Other Easy Soup Recipes
- Creamy Irish Potato Soup
- Chinese Vegetable Soup
- Vegan Potato Soup
- Keto Egg Drop Soup
- Leftover Turkey Tortilla Soup
Chili’s Southwest Chicken Soup
- Large pot
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 quart chicken stock see Notes
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup white hominy or navy beans, drained
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- corn tortilla chips for serving
- shredded cheese or crumbled queso fresco for serving
- Heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Season chicken breast with salt and pepper, then transfer to pot and cook for about 5 minutes per side or until cooked through. Remove from pot and leave to rest for a few minutes on the counter.
- Add the remaining two tablespoons of vegetable oil to pot along with the chopped onion, green bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add in the cumin, chili powder, and paprika cooking for about 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in the chicken stock, diced green chiles, diced tomatoes, and Hominy or navy beans. Chop the cooked chicken breast into small bite-sized pieces and place that into the pot as well.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for 5-8 minutes. Then remove from heat before adding in the lime juice and fresh cilantro.
- Make it Paleo: Leave out the white hominy to make this a paleo meal.
- Chicken Stock: Feel free to use vegetable broth instead of chicken stock in this recipe.